What’s your favorite way to prepare Breadfruit? We LOVE using CGA products to make our tasty Trini-Style Oil Down! See the recipe below and try it for yourself!
Breadfruit oil down
1 large breadfruit, cut into large chunks
1 med onion, finely chopped
4 cups dasheen leaves, shredded
2 large pimentos, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet pepper
1/4 cup freshly chopped herbs (chadon beni, thyme, chive and celery)
2 cups coconut milk
2 cups water
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 vegetable cube
2 tbsp Constance Estate chili infused coconut oil
2 tbsp French maid
– In a large pot parboil breadfruit for 20 mins. Once boiled drain and set aside.
– To the same pot on medium heat add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp French maid, sauté onion, garlic, half of the fresh herbs and pimentos for 2-3 mins before adding breadfruit. Sauté for a further 2 mins.
– Add water and coconut milk to the pot, along with salt, black pepper, veg cube, dasheen leaves and scotch bonnet.
– Let the pot come to a simmer before turning the heat down to low and covering the pot.
– Cook for 30-40 mins, turning the breadfruit every 10 mins to prevent sticking.
– Once it reaches your desired consistency remove scotch bonnet and mix in the remaining French Maid and fresh herbs.