Cure your Carnival Tabanca with this delicious GOLDEN FRIED CHICKEN NUGGS WITH SCORPION PASSION FRUIT SAUCE!
Prep Time: 30 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Servings: 6-8
Chicken breast chunks marinated and shallow fried;served with scorpion spiced passion fruit sauce
made using FM garlic.
2lbs Chicken Breast Chunks
1-2 tbsp French Maid Garlic, melted
1 tbsp garlic infused coconut oil
1 dash of aromatic bitters
A small pinch of salt
Fresh Seasonings*: Shadon Beni, Chive, Pimento, Fine Thyme, Garlic – all finely chopped.
Ground Spices*: Black Pepper, Paprika, Ginger, Garlic, Onion
1 C buttermilk
1 large egg
Pinch of lemon zest
1.5 C AP flour, lightly seasoned with adobo seasoning
1 large egg
1 C breadcrumbs, unseasoned and plain
1.5 C cornflake crumbs
*Adjust seasonings and spices to your taste.
Spicy Dipping Sauce
1-1.5 C passion-fruit pulp
1/3 C garlic infused coconut oil
1 tsp dried or ground hot-pepper blend or 4-5 hot peppers**
1⁄4 tsp each Ground Spices: Nutmeg and cinnamon
1 tsp Fresh Herbs: Minced garlic, fine thyme, shadon beni
**Any type and or combination of hot peppers would work, the amount you add will depend on
your taste and tolerance. We used 4 pimento peppers, plus 1 tsp blend of ground scorpion and
scotch bonnet peppers for a moderate kick.
Nuggs prep –
1. Wash and clean raw chicken and transfer to a clean large bowl. Using a skewer, pokes holes
all over the chicken chunks in the bowl – no particular amount, but go around the bowl a
few times just to be sure.
2. Melt your FM Garlic in a separate bowl and allow to cool. Once cool, add to chicken bowl
along with garlic infused coconut oil, bitters, fresh seasonings and spices. Stir well to
3. Transfer seasoned chicken chunks to freezer bag.
4. Add egg and zest to buttermilk, then pour into freezer bag. Seal and squish around with
your fingers to combine. Allow chunks to marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
5. Empty liquid marinade from bag into a bowl and add an additional egg to mixture.
6. In a separate bowl, combine flour and spices. In another, combine breadcrumbs and
7. Remove a few of your marinated nuggs, firstly coat each piece evenly in flour mixture, then
in marinade liquid and finally in cornflake mixture. Press the cornflakes into the nuggs to
help them stay.
8. Place prepped nuggs in a 4th bowl and continue for remaining pieces. Halfway through,
preheat a non-stick frying pan with about 1⁄4 inch height in oil. Heat on medium-high heat.
9. Once the oil has properly heated, carefully place a few nuggs into pan and fry for 2-3 mins
or until lightly golden on each side. Keep your eyes on the pan, if the oil is too hot, the
nuggs can burn. Try frying a few at a time so it is easier to manage. Garnish with freshly
Spicy Passion Fruit Dipping Sauce –
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy. Stir in finely chopped
shadon beni, garlic etc. Best enjoyed when fresh; pairs perfectly with fried foods.