Check out Lime and Spoon’s delicious Fruit Galette recipe using Prize Bread and Pastry Margarine here:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons (about) ice water
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 2 cups of fruit (or 1C of two fruits each or 3/4C of three different fruits)
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix flour and salt in processor. Add shortening and butter and process until resembles coarse meal. Mix in water 1 tablespoon at a time just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; (if you want smaller galettes, divide into two or three equal amounts and continue) flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Mix fruit with sugar, lemon juice and flour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll out dough between 2 layers of plastic wrap to 12-inch round. Remove top layer of plastic. Invert dough onto baking sheet. Remove top layer of plastic. Arrange fruit over dough on baking sheet, leaving 2-inch border around edges. Fold dough border over fruit, pleating loosely and pinching to seal any cracks. Brush dough border with egg mixture. Sprinkle border with 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake galette until crust is brown and filling bubbles, about 35 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to rack and cool galette slightly, about 20 minutes.